Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2024

Review: The Watchers by A.M. Shine

Author: A.M. Shine
Publisher: Head of Zeus 
Publication Date: October 2021

This forest isn't charted on any map. Every car breaks down at its treeline. Mina's is no different. Left stranded, she is forced into the dark woodland only to find a woman shouting, urging Mina to run to a concrete bunker. As the door slams behind her, the building is besieged by screams.

Mina finds herself in a room with a wall of glass, and an electric light that activates at nightfall, when the Watchers come above ground. These creatures emerge to observe their captive humans—and terrible things happen to anyone who doesn't reach the bunker in time.

Afraid and trapped among strangers, Mina is desperate for answers. Who are the Watchers? Why are these creatures keeping them imprisoned? And, most importantly, how can she escape?

The only reason I read this book is the upcoming Netflix movie version.  The story takes place in a mysterious forest. Mina's car breaks down and instead of walking down the road to find help, she heads into the woods.  She stumbles on a structure with 3 other people trapped in it.  I was really looking forward to reading this one. The premise sounded creepy and had the potential to be a great horror story.  Sadly, it didn't live up to my expectations

There were definitely times that the story was creepy. It did make me not want to walk through the woods at night ever.  The river scene was well done and there was also a few bloody horror scenes.  But the rest of the book was just boring.  I didn't care for any of the characters. I didn't like all of the perspectives. It might have worked better through just Mina's recounting.  And there were plot holes that I just couldn't ignore. Unfortunately, if I was to list them it would spoil somethings in the book. The ending was very unsatisfying and I have so many questions.  If the movie is anything like the book, I think I'll skip it.

 

No comments: