Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Witches Lottery


Author: Krystal McLaughlin
Publisher: Self

When Sophia and Drew McKibben's parents are killed in a tragic car accident, they are shipped off to live with an aunt they never even knew existed. Believing that they are moving to a privately owned island just off of the coast of Mystic, CT to live alone with her, they are surprised to find a sort of under-aged bed and breakfast.

Sophia draws the attention of one of the locals, Falen, immediately. He always seems to know exactly what she is thinking, and to her frustration, everything she does seems to amuse him. When a newcomer to the island brings with him a sense of deja vu, she begins to ask herself the ultimate question: Am I going crazy?

Sophia's world starts to unravel when she notices her own brother acting just as abnormal as the rest of them. When she begins to realize that the life she left behind looks even more bizarre then the one she was forced to leave it for, she's faced with a decision to make: embrace the new life that has been given to her, or drown in the past. Either choice brings with it more secrets and deceptions to unearth. The problem now is that the two worlds may actually be more intertwined than she thought.


The Witches Lottery is the debut novel by Krystal McLaughlin. It is the first in a series about an enchanted island where things aren't always what they seem. Sophia and her brother, Drew, are sent there to live with their aunt after the death of their parents. Even before they leave Colorado, weird things start to happen to Sophia. The mystery and action begin on the first page and it doesn't slow down until the end. Sophia is a very likeable character. She is a typical teen who is having to deal with some atypical issues and she navigates them very well. The characters in the book are strong and intriguing. The author gives you enough of a glimpse into their lives that leaves you wanting to read more about each one.

I definitely recommend this YA novel lovers of the genre. It was nice to read a book that is really is appropriate for a young adult. I find that so many "YA" books out there aren't very appropriate for the audience to which they have been marketed. (Totally a personal opinion) Ms. McLaughlin has a bright future ahead of her. I look forward to seeing what comes next.

--Kari

* note: I read a complimentary copy of The Witches Lottery supplied courtesy of the author. I was not compensated in anyway for this review. By receiving a complimentary copy, I am in no way obligated to write a good or bad review. I am an honest reviewer and my reviews are based on my own opinion and only written by me.*

2 comments:

Linen and Silk said...

It sounds like fun, and definitely something the kiddle and I would like to read.

Have I mentioned how jealous I am of you guys? :)

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I am reading this one soon. Thanks for sharing, I'm really excited to get to it.