Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

Murder Takes the Cake


Author: Gayle Trent
Publisher: Gallery Books

Cozy murder mystery. When the meanest gossip in Brea Ridge dies mysteriously, suspicions turn to cake decorator Daphne Martin. But all Daphne did was deliver a spice cake with cream cheese frosting--and find Yodel's body. Now Daphne's got to help solve the murder and clear her good name. Problem is, her Virginia hometown is brimming with people who had good reason to kill Yodel, and Daphne's whole family is among them.

Murder Takes the Cake is a re-release paperback but has been published with some added content. In the back of the book, the author provides a few cake recipes and tips on decorating cakes. I thought that was a nice addition to the book. Murder Takes the Cake involves Daphne Martin, a 40 year old Divorcee who returns to her home town to start a new life and a new cake baking business. While delivering a cake to a client, she stumbles into a murder mystery.

Overall, I enjoyed reading the story. What I enjoyed most about the book were the characters themselves. I think they shone through more than the mystery itself. All of the characters were interesting and allowed a glimpse of small town life where a gossip line runs rampant. I would have liked to read more of the relationship between Ben and Daphne as they slowly rekindle their romance. But that is the hopeless romantic in me coming out. Perhaps there is more of that in the next book.

As for the mystery itself, it was pretty simple and I was able to call the murderer pretty early on. One thing I did not like about the book was the amount of the detail about cake decorating. It felt like it was put in there for filler and just didn’t hold my interest.

I would recommend this book. It is a pretty fast read and I think the series has potential. I know I will probably seek out the next book.

--Kari


* note: I read a complimentary copy of Murder Takes the Cake supplied courtesy of the publisher. I was not compensated in anyway for this review. By receiving a complimentary copy, I am in no way obligated to write a good or bad review. I am an honest reviewer and my reviews are based on my own opinion and only written by me.*

No comments: