Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Lethal By Sandra Brown

Author: Sandra Brown
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing 
Audiobook: Hachette Audio
Date published: September 2011

When her four year old daughter informs her a sick man is in their yard, Honor Gillette rushes out to help him. But that "sick" man turns out to be Lee Coburn, the man accused of murdering seven people the night before. Dangerous, desperate, and armed, he promises Honor that she and her daughter won't be hurt as long as she does everything he asks. She has no choice but to accept him at his word.

But Honor soon discovers that even those close to her can't be trusted. Coburn claims that her beloved late husband possessed something extremely valuable that places Honor and her daughter in grave danger. Coburn is there to retrieve it -- at any cost. From FBI offices in Washington, D.C., to a rundown shrimp boat in coastal Louisiana, Coburn and Honor run for their lives from the very people sworn to protect them, and unravel a web of corruption and depravity that threatens not only them, but the fabric of our society.


Lethal is the latest offering from Sandra Brown.   This was a great book! The story had me riveted from the beginning.  Ms. Brown keeps you guessing throughout the entire book.  I wasn't sure who to trust and what to believe. The mystery was fast paced and well thought out. The twist in the reveal was such a surprise and I love that in a book, as you all know!  There are some humorous situations that help to break up the intensity of the story. The characters were so well written and likeable.  I liked Coburn the most.  He is a gruff, jaded and tells it like it is.  Honor is a great match for him and the perfect person to break through his rough exterior.  I loved reading his reactions to 4YO Emily.  That little girl could melt anyone's heart.  

I'm going to admit this book loses a star for me because of the ending. Other people thought that it was satisfying, but I felt totally cheated and left hanging.  I went through the entire adventure and I want my HEA.  Once you read it, you will understand what I mean.

The audio is narrated by Victor Slezak.  I have heard him on other audiobooks and have always enjoyed his performance.   Even thought I hated the ending, I definitely recommend this one.  Who knows? Maybe you will love it.

2 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

I'm currently reading this one and also like it. My husband read it and loved it--even the ending he liked. The interaction between Emily and Coburn was amusing. I enjoyed that too!

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I really want this book. Thanks for the review and the warning about the ending. I expectations are firmly in place :)