Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward

Author: J.R. Ward
Publisher: NAL Hardcover
Publication date: March 2011

Payne, twin sister of Vishous, is cut from the same dark, warrior cloth as her brother: A fighter by nature, and a maverick when it comes to the traditional role of Chosen females, there is no place for her on the Far Side… and no role for her on the front lines of the war, either.

When she suffers a paralyzing injury, human surgeon Dr. Manuel Manello is called in to treat her as only he can- and he soon gets sucked into her dangerous, secret world. Although he never before believed in things that go bump in the night- like vampires- he finds himself more than willing to be seduced by the powerful female who marks both his body and his soul.

As the two find so much more than an erotic connection, the human and vampire worlds collide … just as a centuries old score catches up with Payne and puts both her love and her life in deadly jeopardy.


Lover Unleashed has so much going in it that in a way it felt like a transition book. Not really focusing on one relationship as the others have done, but necessary to move the series into a new direction and tie up some loose ends.  That said, I really liked this one.  Manny and Payne are well suited for each other.  I loved their relationship and their HEA.  I thought it was perfect.  While I liked Manny and Payne's story, I think I liked the secondary story involving Vishous, Jane and Butch the most.  While it was painful and heart wrenching, it brought a lot of resolution to the trio.

The Quinn and Blaylock situation is frustrating and really needs to be resolved. Hopefully there will be some relief soon for those of us who want to see them together. I also was disappointed that there was less of the Brothers as a whole in this one.  I wanted to see more John Michael and Zsadist (who will remain my favorite Brother forever!)

Even though I bought this book right when it came out last March, I held off reading it for months.  I am a huge fan of this series and have read all of the books.  Yet, I had a war going on inside me.  I wanted to know what happens next in the world of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, but I knew that once it was read, I had an entire YEAR to wait for the next installment.  If you have been following this blog, you know I have no patience. Now I only have 4 months to wait. (Somewhere in my twisted mind, that makes sense to me!)

If you haven't read any of the series, I suggest you start at the beginning with the first book.  Being book 9, Lover Unleashed assumes the reader knows a lot of the back story.  In any case it is an excellent addition to the series.  March 2012 can't come fast enough!


1 comment:

~April~ said...

I SOOOOO LOVE Black Dagger Brotherhood... I can not wait for the next book... :-) I have gotten all my friends hooked on them also. LOL...
ramblingsandadventures(at)gmail(dot)com