Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Review: Hysteria by Megan Miranda

by:  Megan Miranda
published by:  Walker Children
publish date:  February 5, 2013

Mallory killed her boyfriend, Brian. She can't remember the details of that night but everyone knows it was self-defense, so she isn't charged. But Mallory still feels Brian's presence in her life. Is it all in her head? Or is it something more? In desperate need of a fresh start, Mallory is sent to Monroe, a fancy prep school where no one knows her . . . or anything about her past.But the feeling follows her, as do her secrets. Then, one of her new classmates turns up dead. As suspicion falls on Mallory, she must find a way to remember the details of both deadly nights so she can prove her innocence-to herself and others.

I read Megan Miranda's first book Fracture and thought it was great spooky story.  I figured Hysteria would be at least as good, maybe even better.  I was disappointed.  While this book wasn't bad, I got frustrated with it at times.

Mallory killed her boyfriend.  That fact we know throughout the entire book.  The how and why of it are murky and the details are given out sporadically.  The entire picture isn't clear until the end and the big reveal.  This was the aspect of the book that I didn't care for.  All the guessing and wondering and going back and forth about a really key part of the story was a little annoying. 

It wasn't all bad though.  In general, I liked Mallory.  I appreciated the relationship she had with her best friend.  It was interesting to see that dynamic change over time with the boyfriend and then his death and then Mallory's going away to school.  YA girls will probably appreciate that part of the story the most.

Hysteria, while a bit of a letdown, won't put me off Megan Miranda for good.  The second Fracture book is set to come out next year so it'll be interesting to see where that story goes.

2 comments:

helen said...

Hadn't heard about this one yet, but I really enjoyed Fracture so I'll definitely need to give this one a read. I loved the writing style in Fracture, it was so beautiful. Thanks for a great review! :)

Penelope Sanchez said...

I can't wait to read this! While I might be annoyed at first for her running away so much, I'll have to remind myself of her experiences. It sounds great, love the review :)

regards,
rowena of Centerpieces with Floating Candles