Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Falling Off the Wind by Richard Meibers

Author: Richard Meibers
Publisher: Martin and Lawrence Press
Date of Publication: November 2012


Clement Scheutz finds himself stranded on a small Caribbean island with no money, the woman he loves has left him, his boat has been smashed on the rocks by a hurricane, and he has been accused of killing a local Puerto Rican. He gets a job helping rebuild a local restaurant while trying to put the boat and his life back together. In the process he helps the restaurant owner cope with her teenage daughter and find out who killed her uncle. 

 Falling Off the Wind is a well written book by author Richard Meibers.  He is a new to me author.  The book is about a man who has been sailing around the coast of Puerto Rico for 7 years and seems lost. His relationship with his girlfriend is petering out.  He has no money and no real home. To me, it seemed like he was in an extended mid-life crisis, with no idea how to get out.  

I have to admit, I had a hard time getting into the book. I really know nothing about boats or sailing.  Normally, this wouldn't deter me from a story, but the first couple of chapters were so heavy with terminology that the book dragged for me.  I did keep reading, and overall liked the story.  I felt like Clement learned a lot about himself during his time helping Migdala rebuild her restaurant.  I was happy with the decision he makes in the end.  However, I wasn't left with a confident feeling that he was ultimately happy with the decision.  Right up until the end, he was still plotting his way out should he get restless. I also questioned whether he traded one relationship problem for another in choosing Migdala.

That being said, I would recommend giving this one a shot.  I think anyone who is into sailing and likes a bit of mystery will enjoy this book. 




1 comment:

Ann Summerville said...

Thanks for the review. My mind tends to wander off when there's a lot of terminology and I miss things that might have been important.
Ann