Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Review: Shadow Woman by Linda Howard

Author: Linda Howard
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Date of Publication: January 2013

Lizette Henry wakes up one morning and makes a terrifying discovery: She doesn’t recognize the face she sees in the mirror. She remembers what she looks like, but her reflection is someone else’s. To add to the shock, two years seem to have disappeared from her life. Someone has gone to great and inexplicable lengths to keep those missing years hidden forever. But the past always finds a way to return.

I really enjoyed Shadow Woman. I liked it much more than her last one. As I was listening, I was so sure I had it all figured out about a quarter of the way into the book.  Wow, was I wrong!  I was way off.  I love when that happens. Lizette looks in the mirror one day and doesn't recognize the face.  Every time she tries to remember, she gets violently ill.  Slowly, she regains snippets of her memory.  Enough to realize that she is missing two years of her life.  Scared and confused, she decides to take action to try to get those two years back.  The problem is that someone doesn't seem to want her to rememebr.  When you can't trust your own memories, who can you trust?

Linda Howard's latest is a very engaging and suspenseful story. It does have a bit of romance, but it is heavier on the thriller/suspense side than she usually writes.  Since I love her romances, I was pleased to see that even though the hero and heroine don't actually get together until very late in the book, there was no lack of steamy love scenes between them throughout the book.  How?  You'll have to read to find out.

I definitely think that most fans of Ms. Howard will enjoy this book.  The audio version is narrated by Carrington MacDuffie.  She is one of my favorites and she didn't disappoint. 
 

No comments: