Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs


Author: Kathy Reichs
First published in 1997 by Scribner

Dr. Temperance "Tempe" Brennan spends her days in the autopsy suite, the courtroom, the crime lab, with cops, and at exhumation sites. Often her long days turn into harrowing nights.

It's June in Montreal, and Tempe, who has left a shaky marriage back home in North Carolina to take on the challenging assignment of director of forensic anthropology for the province of Quebec, looks forward to a relaxing weekend.
 

Let me start by saying that I am a big fan of the TV show Bones.  I have watched the show from the beginning, but had never picked up one of the books that inspired the series.  After reading some reviews, I decided to give it a shot.  I knew going in that the television character and book character are vastly different.  I think that knowing this helped me to enjoy the book much more.  I wasn't expecting "Bones" Brennan from the TV show.

That being said, Deja Dead was a pretty enjoyable read.  I almost liked this Dr. Brennan better.  She seemed more human and real to me.  She is middle aged with a college aged doctor.  She is divorcing her husband and there are hints that she may, at one time, had issues with alcohol.  I like flawed characters because I find that I can connect with them more.  I enjoyed the mystery and didn't have any idea who the killer was until the end.    My only complaint about the book as all of the french terms and names. It was a little hard to keep track of them while listening to the audiobook.

I definitely liked this book enough to continue with the series. I am intrigued by Dr. Temperance Brennan and look forward to finding out more about her.

No comments: