Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Review: Deep Autumn Heat and Blaze of Winter by Elisabeth Barrett

Debut author, Elisabeth Barett, is off to a great start with her Star Harbor series.  The series features the Grayson Brothers.  Four very sexy men who grew up in Star Harbor.  The first two books, Deep Autumn Heat and Blaze of Winter are out now.  If you are looking for a new series to be come addicted to, try this one out!

Deep Autumn Heat ( Loveswept, July 2012) is the first in the series.  It features Sebastian Grayson and Lexie Myers. Seb is back in town for the anniversary of his father's death.  When he meets Lexie in her restaurant, the chemistry between them is enough to boil water. Sebastian is immediately drawn to Lexie, not only because she can cook, but because she doesn't  have any "hero worship" toward his success.  Their banter is very amusing and had me laughing at times.

Lexie has been hurt in the past by a stalker ex-boyfriend  She has moved across country to get a fresh start.  I liked that she was hesitant to get too serious with Seb at first. I also loved that it was him that admitted his feelings first.  There is a little bit of a mystery thrown in to make the tension even higher.  Someone keeps threatening Lexie.  Is it her ex or the rival shop owner who wants her coconut cake recipe? Along with all of this, the peripheral characters add to give the reader a great sense of the town.  They are the type of people I would love to have as friends and neighbors.

Blaze of Winter (Loveswept, September 2012) picks up right where Deep Autumn Heat leaves off. I enjoyed this one as much as the first.  Theo Grayson, who happens to be Seb's twin brother, has decided to move back to Star Harbor to try to break through his writer's block.  Unable to concentrate while living on his brother's house boat, he moves into the Star Harbor Inn.  There he meets Avery Newbridge and it is love at first sight, or at least it's lust.  Avery doesn't want to get involved. She has come to help her aunt with the inn and get her head back on straight after a tragedy at work.

I loved Theo and how he just seemed to know Avery so well.  I will admit to not liking Avery at first.  I know one can expect self doubt when when something happens at work that makes you question your judgement, but I thought she was a bit too insecure for a social worker. Honestly, I didn't blame Theo for walking away when she thought he was breaking up with her.  She did redeem herself in the end and I loved their HEA. 

As in the first one, there is a little mystery.  Weird noises are heard in the inn and things are moving on their own.  Is it a ghost or is someone playing a joke?  You'll have to read to find out.  I will say that the solution involves a story arch that I think may play out in all four books.

Ms. Barrett is a wonderful writer and I know she has a bright future! I look forward to the next book,  Long Simmering Spring, due out next May!

No comments: