Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Review: Crystal Cove by Lisa Kleypas

Author: Lisa Kleypas
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Date of publication: February 2013

ONE WOMAN WHO HAS BEEN CURSED NEVER TO FIND LOVE . . .

ONE MAN WITHOUT A SOUL WHO WANTS HER MORE THAN LIFE ITSELF . . .

THEY MEET IN A SMALL ISLAND TOWN IN THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST, WHERE MAGIC IS IN THE AIR AND FATE IS A FORCE TOO POWERFUL TO DEFY. . . .

Crystal Cove was one of my most anticipated reads of 2013.  I had really enjoyed the series up to this point, so I was looking forward to the last one.   While I did enjoy the book, I didn't love it as much as I wanted to.  The story was just OK for me.

I liked both Justine and Jason.  They definitely had chemistry.  But, that is really all I felt like they had.  The whole relationship felt way too rushed for me and fell a bit flat.  There really wasn't time for them to fall for each other.   I enjoyed the way they played off each other and there were a few LOL moments.  I just wanted more of them. The difference with this book from the others is that they take place over a longer period of time and there is room for the lovers to get to know each other while falling in love. That was part of the magic of the early books.  There just wasn't that here.   The love scenes on the other hand were much more intense.   I was a bit surprised at the sudden shift since the previous books were much more mild.  Not that I'm complaining

Crystal Cove really could be read as a stand alone book.  Other then Zoe and a brief appearance from Alex, none of the other characters show up here.  That was disappointing.  The ending felt rushed with no epilogue.  It would have been nice to have a better wrap up.  I do recommend the book, but if you are looking for the "magic" of the other books, you may be slightly disappointed.


No comments: