Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Review: Taking Chances & From Ashes by Molly McAdams

Today, I have two books my Molly McAdams From Ashes and Taking Chances. Between the two books, I liked From Ashes more than Taking Chances. So, I'll start with that one.

From Ashes
Publisher: William Morrow
Date of Publication: December, 2012

Aside from her dad, who passed away when she was six, Cassidy Jameson has only ever trusted one man: her best friend, Tyler. So of course she follows him to Texas when he leaves for college. She just didn't expect to be so drawn to their new roommate, Gage, a gorgeous guy with a husky Southern drawl. The only problem? He's Tyler's cousin.

From Ashes is one of those books that fall into the newest genre: "New Adult".  All of the characters are between 18 and 22.  Cassidy has grown up only trusting one person, her friend Tyler.  She moves with Tyler to Texas when he starts college.  There she falls for Gage, Tyler's cousin.  The problem is that Tyler wants Cassidy for himself and does everything he can to keep them apart.  I felt badly for both Gage and Cassidy as Tyler continued to manipulate them.  I liked Gage and thought he was was genuinely a nice guy.    I just mostly felt bad for Cassidy and her situation. I thought Tyler was a major jerk and manipulator.

I had a few problems with the book.   Cassidy had been abused all her life by her mother and step father.  For ten years, Tyler says nothing to his parents or the authorities. From the sound of it, some of the beatings were so brutal. Yet,  no one noticed?  I found this highly unrealistic.  Even Gage points out that Tyler was just as bad by not doing anything about the abuse.  Cassidy needed some major counseling.  Especially, before she started talking about marriage, babies and forever with Gage.  I'm sorry, but 5 minutes connecting with a cop who was abused isn't going to do that job.  I didn't completely fault Cassidy  for her actions and decisions. She really didn't know any better.

Maybe it is because I am coming into these books as a 40-something mom. The mom in me was screaming at Cassidy throughout the entire book to run as fast as she could and live her life before settling down.  I guess I could try to be happy that she at least found a decent guy in Gage.

Taking Chances
Publisher: William Morrow
Date of Publication: October, 2012

Eighteen year old Harper has grown up under her career Marine of a father's thumb. Ready to live life her own way and experience things she's only ever heard of from the jarheads in her father's unit; she's on her way to college at San Diego State University. 

She finds herself being torn in two as she quickly falls in love with her boyfriend Brandon, and her roommate's brother Chase. Covered in tattoos, known for fighting in the Underground and ridiculously muscled...they're exactly what she was always warned to stay away from, but just what she needs. Despite their dangerous looks and histories, both adore and would do anything for Harper, including stepping back if it means she's happy. 

I have to be honest, because I believe in honest reviews.  I really didn't like this book.  Many times, I wanted to throw it across the room.  The story was just so frustrating.  The only character that I liked was Brandon.  He was a genuinely nice guy and, if I could, I would have told him to run far and run fast.

Harper was not a likable person.   I get that she didn't have a normal childhood; but none of the Marines she grew up around taught her about the real world?   In general, I'm not a fan of love triangles.  To be honest, I'm not sure why there even had to be one.  Chase was such a ass to Harper all the time that just don't get how she was "In Love" with him. When did it happen? Maybe I could believe "In Lust".  

I'm also not a fan of infidelity.  I lost all respect for Harper when she cheated on Brandon with Chase.  I had to laugh when the karma train came in to the station and oops, Harper got pregnant.  She acted surprised.  Really, what did she expect when she didn't use birth control?  Then she reams Chase out for potentially cheating on her when she did the same exact thing.  See? Frustrating.

The book was a bit longer than it needed to be.  There were a lot of scenes that probably could have been let out as they only acted as filler.  Again, maybe I'm just too old to appreciate this book. The mom in me hopes that  young women reading this realize this is what not to do with your life.    There is a sequel, Stealing Harper, coming out soon.  It is the same story told from Chase's point of view. I can't say if I will read it or not. I'm not sure that I could go through this story again.


If I were to recommend either book, it would have to be From Ashes.  Taking Chances just wasn't for me.


About the author:


Molly grew up in California but now lives in the oh-so-amazing state of Texas with her husband and furry four-legged daughter. Some of her hobbies include hiking, snowboarding, traveling and long walks on the beach…which roughly translates to being a homebody with her hubby and dishing out movie quotes. When she’s not diving into the world of her characters, she can be found hiding out in her bedroom surrounded by her laptop, cell, Kindle and fighting over the TV remote. She has a weakness for crude-humored movies, fried pickles and loves curling up in a fluffy comforter during a thunderstorm...or under one in a bathtub if there are tornados. That way she can pretend they aren't really happening.






1 comment:

trish said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts as part of the tour.