Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Icons by Margaret Stohl

by:  Margaret Stohl
published by: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
publish date:  May 7, 2013

Everything changed on The Day. The day the windows shattered. The day the power stopped. The day Dol's family dropped dead. The day Earth lost a war it didn't know it was fighting.

Since then, Dol has lived a simple life in the countryside -- safe from the shadow of the Icon and its terrifying power. Hiding from the one truth she can't avoid.

She's different. She survived. Why?


I was interested in reading this book because of the Beautiful Creatures series.  I hoped it would be something along those lines.  It wasn't exactly.

The main thing that really aggravated me about this book was the main character's name.  Dol?  I kept thinking 1920s speakeasy.  It just wasn't working for me.  And throwing in the Doll Face nicknames just made it worse. 

The story line wasn't too bad, but it seemed somewhat familiar.  As I'm sitting here thinking about it, it had the same feel as the I Am Number Four series.  Aliens, special kids, special kids being hunted. 

Did I like it?  It was ok.  Will I keep up with the series?  Probably, because once I start a series I like to finish it unless it's really bad. 

No comments: