Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

by:  Kevin Kwan
published by:  Doubleday
publish date:  June 11, 2013

When Rachel Chu agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with her boyfriend, Nicholas Young, she envisions a humble family home, long drives to explore the island, and quality time with the man she might one day marry. What she doesn't know is that Nick's family home happens to look like a palace, that she'll ride in more private planes than cars, and that with one of Asia's most eligible bachelors on her arm, Rachel might as well have a target on her back. Initiated into a world of dynastic splendor beyond imagination, Rachel meets Astrid, the It Girl of Singapore society; Eddie, whose family practically lives in the pages of the Hong Kong socialite magazines; and Eleanor, Nick's formidable mother, a woman who has very strong feelings about who her son should--and should not--marry. 

Right off the bat, I'll say this was not my kind of book.  I'm not a big chick-lit reader even though I do have a few favorite writers.  This book is more geared towards a different kind of chick-lit reader than myself.  That said, it was well written and had a good story line.  It had a lot of interesting tid-bits of information about Singapore and Asian culture that I probably would have never known otherwise.

On the other hand, I felt bogged down with all the details about how these families obtained their wealth.  I don't care about those kinds of things.  There were a lot of details about clothing designers and shoe designers and handbag designers and I don't keep up with those kinds of things so it was over my head most of the time.

This book will appeal to a certain type of reader, definitely the chick-lit lovers that are big into fashion.  People who are interested in really, really rich people and how they live would probably find this book fascinating.  I'm just not, so it wasn't my cup of tea, but it wasn't a bad book by any means.  I don't want to give that impression at all.  Bottom line, a good book for a different reader.

1 comment:

Carole said...

Hi Autumn, I was wondering if you would like to link this in to my travel book link up - it sounds like it gives a good sense of Singapore...if so, just head on over to Carole's Chatter - you'll find the link in the sidebar. Cheers