Pages

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Strong, Hot Winds by Iris Johansen


Author:  Iris Johansen
First published in 1998 by Loveswept

Sheikh Damon El Karim had kidnapped her son Michael and taken him to Kasmara! Cory Brandel was filled with fury at his betrayal -- and shattered by guilt. She'd kept the child a secret from his father when her passionate affair with Damon had ended four years earlier, and now he had sworn revenge. He'd vowed to punish Cory for depriving him of his son, his heir, but could he really mean to imprison her in his palace and refuse to let her see Michael unless she surrendered to him? It was barbaric, savage, unthinkable -- and Cory had no choice but to go. 

Honestly, I'm not quite sure what to say about this one.  You can definitely tell that it is an older book by this author.  It is a bit dated and I don't think it stands up to the test of time.  I also think you have to keep in mind that it does take place in a country where they think a bit differently about women.  So, I guess part of that would hold up for today. 

I really didn't care for Damon or Cory.  Cory really had no right to keep her son from Damon. I also kind of lost a bit of respect for her putting her career before her son. She doesn't win mother of the year award by basically having her kid live with another family while she travels to world as a reporter. I lost some respect for her on that point.  Damon was a a royal tool (no pun intended) when he found out about the kid.  Kidnapping, what a way to a woman's heart!   I'm not sure why authors think that forced or coerced sex equals passion and love. I didn't buy it. This was a quick read.  I'd say skip it if you haven't read it.


No comments: