Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Falling Off Air by Catherine Simpson


Author: Catherine Simpson
First published in 2004 by Mysterious Press

Robin Ballantyne's life is finally coming together. After learning she was pregnant with twins and being abandoned by her irresponsible boyfriend, Adam, she's settling into life as a single mother. But one night, after putting the children to bed, she hears what she thinks is an argument outside. Then, suddenly, a body falls past her window. Running outside, she finds Paula Carmichael, a renowned activist, dead on the ground. Although Robin and Paula weren't acquainted, the police find Robin's name mentioned - frequently - in the dead woman's diary. Robin then learns that her ex-boyfriend had been making a documentary about Paula and may know more than he lets on. But before she can ask him, he's killed by a hit-and-run driver - who was driving Robin's car. Now a suspect herself, Robin must figure out who wanted both Robin and Adam dead before she loses her freedom, her children, and her life. 

Falling Off Air was a random pick from my library's site.  I had never heard of the author, so I gave it a shot.  I really enjoyed this one.  I thought it was a solid mystery with an ending that made sense.  I definitely didn't figure it out before the main character did, which is always a good thing.

 I liked the main character, Robin.  She is a single mom of twins and has been on extended maternity leave.  One night, her neighbor falls out of a window next door and plunge to her death.  Did she kill herself or was it murder?  Robin doesn't get involved until her ex-lover and father of her children is murdered.  The problem is the police think she did it. I felt really bad for how she was treated in the media and by others around her. Everyone thought she was guilty and was a bad mother.  

I won't say too much more about the plot because I don't want to give anything away.  I'll just say that I do recommend this one.  It was an enjoyable mystery!



No comments: