Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2018

Review: Wildcard by Marie Lu

Author: Marie Lu
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Date of publication: September 2018

Emika Chen barely made it out of the Warcross Championships alive. Now that she knows the truth behind Hideo's new NeuroLink algorithm, she can no longer trust the one person she's always looked up to, who she once thought was on her side.

Determined to put a stop to Hideo's grim plans, Emika and the Phoenix Riders band together, only to find a new threat lurking on the neon-lit streets of Tokyo. Someone's put a bounty on Emika's head, and her sole chance for survival lies with Zero and the Blackcoats, his ruthless crew. But Emika soon learns that Zero isn't all that he seems--and his protection comes at a price.

Caught in a web of betrayal, with the future of free will at risk, just how far will Emika go to take down the man she loves?


I know I said I wasn't sure I would continue with the series, but when I saw the audiobook available, I figured I'd give Wildcard a shot.  I have to say that I did like this one a bit more than Warcross.  The story picks up right after the events of the frst book.  I would warn that you really need to read the first book to understand what is going on in this one.  There really is no recap. so new readers would be lost.  This time around, Emika isn't sure who to trust and spends much of the book trying to stay alive.

As I said, I liked this one more than the first.  The technology pieces made more sense to me and I was able to grasp the game a bit more.  I also liked the characters much more this time around.  I felt like I got to know them better because more of their pasts were revealed.  The ending was great and a perfect way to wrap up what I believe is a duology.    If you can make it through the slow pacing of the first book, this one is worth checking out.  

No comments: