Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Review: The Last House Guest by Megan Miranda

Author: Megan Miranda
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Publication date: June 2019

Littleport, Maine is like two separate towns: a vacation paradise for wealthy holidaymakers and a simple harbour community for the residents who serve them. Friendships between locals and visitors are unheard of - but that's just what happened with Avery Greer and Sadie Loman.

Each summer for a decade the girls are inseparable - until Sadie is found dead. When the police rule the death a suicide, Avery can't help but feel there are those in the community, including a local detective and Sadie's brother Parker, who blame her. Someone knows more than they're saying, and Avery is intent on clearing her name before the facts get twisted against her.


The Last House Guest is the third book I have read by this author.  I really enjoyed the first two and this one was no exception.  It's definitely another 4-star read for me.  The story is told between two time lines, the summer when Sadie died and the summer after.  Avery is not so convinced that Sadie committed suicide and someone seems to be setting her up to take the fall for murder.

As I said, I really enjoyed this mystery.  I seriously had no idea what the solution was going to be.  There are some red herrings and a potentially unreliable narrator, so I was kept guessing throughout.  I do enjoy stories where I'm not sure if I should trust the person telling it.  The characters were great and the atmosphere was really mysterious.  My only complaint was the epilogue.  It was a bit abrupt.  I have been avoiding talking plot, because I feel like it's best to go into this book knowing very little.  I highly recommend it if you are looking for a good thriller/mystery.



No comments: