Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2019

Review: The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud

Author: Jonathan Stroud
Publisher: Doubleday Children’s Books
Publication Date: August 29th 2013

When the dead come back to haunt the living, Lockwood & Co. step in . . .

For more than fifty years, the country has been affected by a horrifying epidemic of ghosts. A number of Psychic Investigations Agencies have sprung up to destroy the dangerous apparitions.

Lucy Carlyle, a talented young agent, arrives in London hoping for a notable career. Instead she finds herself joining the smallest, most ramshackle agency in the city, run by the charismatic Anthony Lockwood. When one of their cases goes horribly wrong, Lockwood & Co. have one last chance of redemption. Unfortunately this involves spending the night in one of the most haunted houses in England, and trying to escape alive.

Set in a city stalked by spectres, The Screaming Staircase is the first in a chilling new series full of suspense, humour and truly terrifying ghosts. Your nights will never be the same again . . .


The Screaming Staircase is the first the Lockwood & Co. Series/  It's a middle grade paranormal mystery that takes place in kind of a dystopian future.  Ghosts are very real and have become a real danger to England.  Children and teens can see and sense them much easier than adults.  Agencies have been formed and employ  kids to get rid of the ghosts.  Lockwood & Co. is a very small company and is run by Anthony Lockwood.  Lucy Carlyle is their newest agent.  I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book.  I don't usually read a lot of middle grade books, so I wasn't sure if I would like it.  Having said that, I know I would have loved it in middle school as well. 

 The story was fast paced, action packed and really spooky.  Exactly the right combination for a fun read.  The characters were interesting and I genuinely felt invested in their adventure..  Lucy, Lockwood and George made a great team.   The way Lockwood  was so focused at times really reminded me of  a young Sherlock Holmes character.   The world building was wonderful.  I felt like I was able to really immerse myself in this paranormal, alternate world.  I listened to this on audio and really enjoyed the experience. I also got the sense that there is a lot more to learn about what is really going on and hopefully, there will be more reveals in the future.   If you have been putting off trying this series out (like I have), I do recommend moving it up on your TBR.  There are four more books in the series, so I have some catching up to do.



No comments: