Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2019

Review: The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Author: Maureen Johnson
Publisher:Putnam Juvenile
Date of publication: September 2011

Jack the Ripper is back, and he's coming for Rory next....
Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London to start a new life at boarding school just as a series of brutal murders mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper killing spree of more than a century ago has broken out across the city. The police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man believed to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him - the only one who can see him. And now Rory has become his next target...unless she can tap her previously unknown abilities to turn the tables.
I'm a little late to the party when it comes to this early series by Maureen Johnson.  Autumn reviewed this back in 2011.  Enough time has passed that I think it's safe to out in my two cents.  I ended up really enjoying this book and want to finish out the series.  Rory is an American high school student who goes to a boarding school in London.  Someone begins murdering people in the area and the murders are reminiscent of Jack the Ripper. 

As I said, I really liked the book.  The characters were interesting. I really liked Rory and her attempts to fit into her new environment.  I thought the twist on the "I see dead people" trope was pretty cool.  I wasn't expecting a paranormal element to the book, so it was a nice surprise. 

I have seen reviews that compare this series to her later Truly Devious series.  I didn't really find any similarities other than they take place at a boarding school.  So, don't feel like you are going to get more of the same if you are hesitant to pick this one up.   I, for one, had a fun time reading it and I highly recommend it.


No comments: