Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2019

Review: Sapphire Flames by Ilona Andrews

Author: Ilona Andrews
Publisher: Avon
Date of publication: August 2019

In a world where magic is the key to power and wealth, Catalina Baylor is a Prime, the highest rank of magic user, and the Head of her House. Catalina has always been afraid to use her unique powers, but when her friend’s mother and sister are murdered, Catalina risks her reputation and safety to unravel the mystery.

But behind the scenes powerful forces are at work, and one of them is Alessandro Sagredo, the Italian Prime who was once Catalina’s teenage crush. Dangerous and unpredictable, Alessandro’s true motives are unclear, but he’s drawn to Catalina like a moth to a flame.

To help her friend, Catalina must test the limits of her extraordinary powers, but doing so may cost her both her House–and her heart.
 



Sapphire Flames is the fourth book in the Hidden Legacy series.  It's the first in a three book arc following Catalina and Alessandro.  This one takes place three years after the events of the novella, Diamond Fire.  I would highly recommend reading that novella before this book.  It gives the reader a good understanding of how Catalina learns to use her power and gets set up to become the head of House Baylor.

I wanted to love this book.  I loved the first trilogy with Nevada and Connor.  However, I ended up being really underwhelmed by this book.  I liked the overall story, but it just didn't live up to what I have come to expect from this series.  I did like seeing how much Catalina had grown over the three years.  She has become more confident in her magic  and in her ability to lead.  I also loved the rest of the characters in the Baylor House.  They are fun and add a lot of flavor to the story.

What I didn't love was the rest of the story.  Catalina and Alessandro had very little chemistry.  I really hope it gets better later in the trilogy.  One of the things I loved about Nevada and Connor was their chemistry and their banter.  It was really missing here.  I also found some of the choices that Catalina and Nevada made didn't make sense.  I could understand the motivation for Nevada leaving House Baylor, but the timing for her leaving the country was a bit too convenient.  I also found the timing of that phone call toward the end of the book weird.  Because the revelation was brushed to the side and never brought up again.  

The book ends on a kind of cliffhanger.  I will keep reading because I like the overall story arc.  I just hope Catalina and Alessandro find more heat.


No comments: