Pages

Friday, June 5, 2020

Review: The Bromance Book Club by Lyssa Kay Adams

Author: Lyssa Kay Adams
Publisher: Berkley
Publication Date:November 2019

The first rule of book club: You don't talk about book club.

Nashville Legends second baseman Gavin Scott's marriage is in major league trouble. He’s recently discovered a humiliating secret: his wife Thea has always faked the Big O. When he loses his cool at the revelation, it’s the final straw on their already strained relationship. Thea asks for a divorce, and Gavin realizes he’s let his pride and fear get the better of him.

Welcome to the Bromance Book Club.

Distraught and desperate, Gavin finds help from an unlikely source: a secret romance book club made up of Nashville's top alpha men. With the help of their current read, a steamy Regency titled Courting the Countess, the guys coach Gavin on saving his marriage. But it'll take a lot more than flowery words and grand gestures for this hapless Romeo to find his inner hero and win back the trust of his wife.


The Bromance Book Club had a really cute premise.  A group of successful men meet and read romances in order to help their relationships.  Gavin's marriage is on the rocks and the guys are going to help him fix it.  

I wish I could say I loved this book.  I'll admit to not being in love with this story for the first half of the book.  I felt like Gavin kind of got a raw deal.  Thea was so unfair to him.  I wish they would have communicated with each other.  Instead Thea blamed all of her issues on Gavin.  If you don't speak up, then he can't fix it.  Her sister was also the worst.  The second half of the book was much better.  I did enjoy watching Gavin woo Thea back.  I was also happy when they finally started talking.

What kept me going was the other characters.  The guys in the book club were hilarious.  I loved how they used the romance novels like relationship guides.  It was really cute.  Along with the main romance, we get excerpts from the historical romance that the guys are reading.  I did like how the author blended what was happening in the book club book with Gavin's situation.  If you can stick with it, the ending makes the book worth finishing.  I will be reviewing the next book, Undercover Bromance, very soon.

1 comment:

Ethan said...

This one has such a cute set up! I love the idea of guys coming together to help save a marriage.