Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2022

Review: The Collectors by Lorien Lawrence

Author: Lorien Lawrence
Publisher:  Harry N. Abrams
Publication Date: August 2021

After defeating the Oldies, Quinn and Mike thought that things would settle down on Goodie Lane. But then new neighbors move in. Maybe it’s because they all work at the interior design firm, but Abigail, Eleanor, Jade, Brea, and Cami seem to always be together, dressed in only white.

After everything that happened last summer, Quinn’s a bit wary of the Ladies in White, but her friend Lex is thrilled that someone in town finally has some style. But when Lex starts volunteering at the Ladies’ design firm, things get strange. Lex is acting less like herself, and Quinn begins seeing strange shadows lurking in their neighborhood. She knows the Ladies are to blame; she just has to prove it.

The Collectors is the sequel to The Stitchers.  It picks up fairly soon after the events of the first book.  I wouldn't say this one really works well as a stand alone.  It does spoil some of the first book, so I would recommend that one first.  In this one, Quinn and Mike are back with a new threat on their quiet neighborhood. 

I really enjoyed this one almost more than the first book (which I loved).  The new threat was even creepier.  I loved the lore behind it.  The big fight in the end satisfied my inner middle school horror loving self.  What I loved even more about the book were two of the themes that the author wove into the book...the reality of  grief and PTSD.  A year out, Quinn is still heavily grieving the loss of her father.  Mike is dealing with PTSD form the events in the book before.  I always like when books geared toward this age range bring up things like this.  Both are a reality of life and it's important for kids to see that.  Anyway, I won't spoil the book, I just highly recommend you read it.  I'm not sure if there will be more books in this series, but I hope to see Quinn and Mike again.  They still need to talk about what happened at the dance.

No comments: