Pages

Sunday, July 23, 2023

Review: Whispers at Dusk by Heather Graham

Author: Heather Graham
Publisher:  MIRA
Publication Date: June 2023

When darkness falls, there’s nowhere to hide.

Four bodies have been discovered along Europe’s riverbanks, placed with care—and completely drained of blood. Pinpricks on their throats indicate a slender murder weapon, but DNA found in the wounds suggests something far more sinister. Tasked with investigating, the FBI recruits Agents Della Hamilton and Mason Carter to Blackbird, an international offshoot of the Krewe of Hunters. If you want to catch a vampire killer, you need agents who can speak with the dead.

The pair travel to Norway, where the shadowy forests of Lillehammer reveal a gruesome scene. The killer is thirsty for more victims, and the bloodless trail soon leads Della and Mason to a group that believes drinking blood is the key to immortality. To catch the culprit of such an intimate crime, the agents will have to get close. Mason’s already lost one partner; he’s not ready to risk Della as bait. But sometimes justice requires a sacrifice…

Whispers at Dusk is the first book in the Blackbird Trilogy.  It is also the first in an off-shoot series about the Krewe of Hunters going international.  It works well as a stand alone, which was good for me since I am way behind on the Krewe series.  This trilogy focuses on the set up of Blackbird (the name of the group) and Della and Mason.  They are on the hunt for an international serial killer.

I thought this was a solid set-up for a newish series.  I liked the idea of the Krewe going outside of the US.  It's nice to change up long running series sometimes.  As for this over-all story, I did ultimately enjoy it.  I liked Della and Mason, although their romance was a bit too quick and easy for me.  I would have liked it to drag out a little longer before they hooked up. My biggest issue is all of the info dumping in the book.  There were pages and pages of history lessons about each area they went to.  It really slowed the story down for me.    I won't say this the best I have read by this author, but it's worth trying out. 
 

No comments: