Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

Guest Blog: Rachel Thompson

Today, we welcome author Rachel Thompson who is promoting her book, Mancode Exposed. Welcome Rachel!

Publisher: Self
Date of publication: November 2011

Men, women, sex, love, stereotypes. Important world topics like garages, lingerie, and um, chocolate? It's a melting pot (okay, now you're just getting hungry)...

But more than that, it's about all the levels in which we communicate...viewed through Thompson's looking glass of humor and deconstructed with her special brand of snark.

Thompson explores controversial questions like: Can we outrun our DNA? Will we women always be slaves to our talkative nature (après sex)? Will men never be free of the chains of emotional withholding? Can we transfer man's paper towel changing abilities from garage to kitchen?


Rachel writes:


I write about the differences between men and women.

Mancode vs. Chickspeak.
 
My latest book, The Mancode: Exposed, focuses specifically on the goofy stuff guys do and how we chicks react, scratch our heads, and wonder where we placed the guys we originally hooked up with way back when – ya know, the ones who didn’t burp, fart, and then expect sex all within the span of a minute.
 
Like that.
 
One topic that has always amused me is the temperature differences between the sexes. I don’t know about you, but in my family the shemales are always cold, the hewolves  always hot.
 
(The above is not a euphemism for sex. If you know me at all, you’ll know when I’m talking about sex. Cause I title my essays things like “The Penis. Deconstructed.”)
 
It can be forty degrees out and my husband will have the car window down with his head out the window, kind of like well, a dog for lack of a better word; while my daughter and I shiver away, teeth chattering. Not that he notices. He’s too busy barking at other cars.
 
It’s not just the guys though. My mom will play with the temperature gauges like a scientist conducting an experiment from the second she enters ANY car, twisting and turning the knobs like a professional. My dad and her friends are all apparently used to her OCD foible, but not having lived in the same town for many years, I’d forgotten to warn my guy when he first met her of how oh, clinically insane she is (love you, mommy) when it came to her need to control Mother Earth and all its inhabitants.
 
See, women are crazy squirrelnuts, too.
 
Husband and I play window musical chairs – I’ll be wrapped up shivering in a blanket with my ice-cold fingers warming around a steaming mug of coffee and he’ll burst into the room with “Why’s it so hot in here?” and proceed to open every window in the room. Not to be rude or inconsiderate – I used to think that of course; but after nineteen years of marriage, it’s now my theory that testosterone makes men ovens and estrogen makes women icicles.
 
It’s why we warm our arctic feet on you.
 
Darwin, baby. Only the strong survive.
 
If you enjoy my writing, please check out my books on Amazon (no Kindle required – free apps for smartphones, computers and tablets): A Walk In The Snark, The Mancode: Exposed, and my blog, RachelintheOC.com. You can find me on Twitter, Facebook, Goodreads, or email me at RachelintheOC@gmail.com.
Thanks for hosting me, TBR!
 
Just a quick reminder, any commenter is eligible for my free Kindle giveaway at the end of my tour simply by leaving a comment.

9 comments:

dawnmomoffour said...

Ha! I'll have to tell my husband about that! He's always complaining when I put my cold feet on him heh heh
Thanks for the post.
-Dawn aka dawnmomoffour
thedoyle6@rogers.com

Andy H said...

hilarious.... i think you've seen my household in action...keep the chuckles comin'

Raine Thomas said...

Every time I read one of your books or your blog posts, Rachel, I find myself nodding my head. You definitely know how to get to the heart of gender relations! Keep writing, gal. :)

Julia Barrett said...

Yup, Rachel, you've captured the differences for sure!

Toby Neal said...

Looking forward to checking out your latest commentary on the Mars/Venus/MAncode/Chickspeak phenomenon!

Unknown said...

I'm always drawn to your posts Rachel, this was yet another good one!

Elena Gray said...

What I love about your writing is the fact that you discuss topics most people are afraid of. Thanks for making me laugh every time I read your blog!

Erica Lucke Dean said...

You should really write this stuff down! Oh wait...yeah...you should really be on the top of every best seller list! I love your stuff because it's the stuff from inside my head that I never thought to write down. Love love love Rachel!

Anonymous said...

Complete and utter hilarity...the "should be illegal" kind where you laugh so hard your kid wakes up from her nap to see if someone is strangling you!