Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares

By:  David Levithan and Rachel Cohn
published by:  Knopf Books for Young Readers
publish date:  October 26, 2012

Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions?
Dash finds the notebook that Lily leaves at The Strand Bookstore.  He decides to accept her challenge since he's alone for the Christmas break.  Once completed, he leaves her a dare in order for her to find the notebook again.  Passing the notebook back and forth through a series of dares they get to know each other.  It's not an easy road though, there are miscommunications, old girlfriends and enemies from kindergarten to get in the way.

I listened to the audiobook for this.   It was hands down the funniest audiobook I've listened to this year.  There's a part where Lily dares Dash to get the notebook from a mall Santa.  I laughed til I cried.  It was hysterical.  I can't imagine it would have been as funny reading it as it was listening to the audiobook.  The actor was awesome.

This is a YA book, but it does deal with some mature topics.  So I might only recommend this one for the older teens.   Definitely parents read it first, I'm sure you'll love it!

2 comments:

Cass said...

There were definitely some funny moments, but I can only imagine how much better my experience with this book would have been had I listened to it via audiobook. Glad you enjoyed. I enjoyed reading it myself! It was so so sweet.

Tara said...

Ooh, I haven't read Dash & Lily yet but I've heard amazing things! Your review definitely makes me want to listen to the audiobook rather than read it, though! Fab review, thanks :)

Tara @ Hobbitsies