Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

Review: Low Pressure by Sandra Brown

Author: Sandra Brown
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Date of Publication: September 2012

Bellamy Lyston Price was only 12 years old when her older sister Susan was killed on a stormy Memorial Day.

Now, 18 years later, Bellamy has written a novel based on Susan's murder. It's her first book, and it's an instant sensation. When a sleazy reporter for a tabloid newspaper discovers that the book is based on a real crime, Bellamy's identity - and dark family secrets -- are exposed.


 Suddenly, she finds herself embroiled in a personal conflict and at the mercy of her sister's killer, who for almost two decades has gotten away with murder...and will stop at nothing to keep it that way.
 
Low Pressure is the latest offering from Sandra Brown. Ms. Brown is one of my reliable authors who I know will give me a good solid read.  I wasn't disappointed.  I really enjoyed the book.  The mystery is solid and I loved the twist at the end.  Actually, there are a few twists in the book so that I was kept guessing right up until the end.   

I loved the characters.  Bellamy is haunted by the past and attempts to jog her memory by writing a book about her sister's murder.  The problem is that the book stirs up a lot of questions.  Was the right man convicted?  And what is it about that day that Bellamy can't remember?  I thought she was strong heroine, although her thoughts about her relationships with men were a bit misguided.  I have read in some reviews that readers thought Dent was a jerk.  I have to disagree.  I loved his character.  He wasn't afraid to be blunt and he made me laugh numerous times.  His behavior toward Bellamy and her family, IMHO, was justified.  He had been wrongly accused and treated appallingly by them after Susan was murdered.  Yes, he comes across as a jerk, but he isn't really.

I ended up listening to the audio book.  Stephen Lang narrates and did a very nice job.  I've heard him before on other audiobooks and enjoy his voice.  If you haven't read anything by Ms. Brown, why not start with this one?  You won't be disappointed.

No comments: