Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLean

Author: Sarah MacLean
Publisher: Avon
Date of Publication: March 2012

A decade ago, the Marquess of Bourne was cast from society with nothing but his title. Now a partner in London’s most exclusive gaming hell, the cold, ruthless Bourne will do whatever it takes to regain his inheritance—including marrying perfect, proper Lady Penelope Marbury.

A broken engagement and years of disappointing courtships have left Penelope with little interest in a quiet, comfortable marriage, and a longing for something more. How lucky that her new husband has access to such unexplored pleasures.

Typically in historical romances, we see the proper side of society. So when I read A Rogue by Any Other Name it was a refreshing change.  Bourne may be a Marquess, but he is also the owner of the most infamous gaming hell in London.  It caters to men who want to gamble and indulge in other things as well as to women on the "other side".   Penelope may be his life long friend  but she is also the key to revenge against the man who took everything from him.

I liked Penelope.  I felt so badly for her as she seems to constantly get the short end of everything.  Even in her marriage to Bourne.  He obviously cares about her, but he is so blinded by revenge that he can't see that what he has in front of him is more valuable than anything.  I often found myself wanting to shake some sense into him.  I have to say I was glad that she made him wait in the end before she decided she believed his transformation.  He deserved it.

Overall, I enjoyed the story.  I loved Bourne's friends.  They were quite amusing and made for a lot of comic relief.  The next few books in the series feature their stories, so I look forward to reading them.  This one ends in a sort of cliffhanger that gives a peek into the next book, One Good Earl Deserves a Lover.  It is Phillipa and Cross's story.  I'm looking forward to reading it.

No comments: