Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Review & Interview: Talisman of El by Alecia Stone

Welcome to author, Alecia Stone who joins us with an interview today.  She is promoting her debut novel, Talisman of El

Publisher: Centrinan Publishing
Date of publication: May 2012

WHAT IF YOUR WHOLE LIFE WAS A LIE?

One Planet.

Two Worlds.

Population: Human ... 7 billion.

Others ... unknown.

When 14-year-old Charlie Blake wakes up sweating and gasping for air in the middle of the night, he knows it is happening again. This time he witnesses a brutal murder. He's afraid to tell any one. No one would believe him ... because it was a dream. Just like the one he had four years ago - the day before his dad died.

Charlie doesn't know why this is happening. He would give any thing to have an ordinary life. The problem: he doesn't belong in the world he knows as home. He belongs with the others.


My thoughts:

Talisman of El has the potential to be a great middle grade fantasy series.  In the first book, there is a lot of world building.  I liked the world of Arcadia. As far as fantasy worlds go, it sounds beautiful, mysterious and intriguing.  The characters were fun. Charlie and his friends were written pretty well.  The loyalty between them is strong. That is one element of middle grade books that I always like.  When a group of "misfits" kids form a family of sorts.

Having said all of that, I felt that the book really needed a bit more editing.  Some of the transitions were abrupt and confusing. This really slowed the book down for me because I found myself rereading passages to see if I had missed something. Some of the dialogue felt awkward and out of place.  I just wish I liked the book more than I did.   I would recommend this series to a middle school reader.  It is perfect for that age level as there is nothing too mature in the book.

Kari & Autumn: What inspired you to become a writer?

Ms. Stone: I read Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice when I was fourteen, and since then, I’ve wanted to be a writer. It’s always been a dream of mine, albeit one I didn’t think would come true. I just loved the way she brought her characters to life. She had the ability to suck me into the world she had created. I fell in love with the story and the characters, and I just thought it would be great if I could create a world people could escape into, even if it was only for a moment.

Kari & Autumn: Where do you come up with the ideas for your books?

Ms. Stone: It must be a combination of all the movies and stories I’ve read over the years. I’m a huge fantasy and sci-fi fan, and I truly believe that genre has allowed me to broaden my imagination. As for Talisman Of El, I can’t pinpoint an actual source, but it was great creating that world and exploring it with the characters.

Kari & Autumn: What exciting projects are waiting in the wings?

Ms. Stone: Well, since I’m writing a trilogy, I have two more books to write. I’m currently writing the sequel.

Kari & Autumn: Who is your favorite literary character and why?

Ms. Stone: It has to be the boy who never grows up. It’s none other than Peter Pan. He’s a brilliant character. He sustains that immortality people long for. He represents youth in its purest form. I love his mentality, and he has the most amazing adventures. He’s just a great character with a wonderful imagination.

Kari & Autumn: Just for fun, if you could be any animal, what would it be and why?

Ms. Stone: I always have a different answer for this question. I guess it depends on my mood. Right now I feel like spreading my wings and flying away, so I’m going to go with an eagle. They are a beautiful and intelligent species. For me, they represent freedom.

Author Bio:

Alecia Stone has been in love with anything and everything paranormal for many years. She grad­u­ated with a BA in Film & TV and has worked in tele­vi­sion for a short period of time before branch­ing out into storytelling. When she isn't writ­ing, she enjoys going to the movies, lis­ten­ing to music, and travelling. Talisman Of El is her first novel. She currently lives in England, UK.

Links:
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Alecia_Stone          

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for having me today and for taking part in the tour. Greatly appreciated :)