Pages

Friday, September 22, 2017

Emma in the Night by Wendy Walker

Author: Wendy Walker
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Date of publication: August 2017

One night three years ago, the Tanner sisters disappeared: fifteen-year-old Cass and seventeen-year-old Emma. Three years later, Cass returns, without her sister Emma. Her story is one of kidnapping and betrayal, of a mysterious island where the two were held. But to forensic psychiatrist Dr. Abby Winter, something doesn't add up. Looking deep within this dysfunctional family Dr. Winter uncovers a life where boundaries were violated and a narcissistic parent held sway. And where one sister's return might just be the beginning of the crime.

Given that I ended up DNFing , All is Not Forgotten, I was a bit skeptical going into Emma in the Night. I'm always willing to give an author a second chance.  I was pleasantly surprised at what I found in this book.  Sisters, Cass and Emma, disappeared three years before and now Cass has returned with an unbelievable story.  The hunt for Emma is still on, but can Cass be trusted?

At times, I did find that this book dragged in places.  But for the most part, I thought it was a solid mystery.  The story did keep me engaged and I wanted to finish it to see what the truth was.  The entire time you read this book, you are unsure if Cass is a reliable character.  The story is told between Cass's first person account and Abby's third person Point of view. The plot is laid out well, revealing information at just the right time. I thought I had the ending all figured out, but I was mostly wrong.  

 There is a lot of dysfunction in this family.  The mother, Mrs. Martin was sickeningly narcissistic. That just touches the surface of what is wrong with this family.   How that all  plays into the disappearance of the girls is something you will have to read to find out.  I do recommend this book.  It's one that will make you want to keep reading to find out the truth.



2 comments:

Nicole Pyles said...

I've been hearing a lot about this book! I think I need to give this a try. I've added it to my reading list.

SavingsInSeconds said...

I'm going to check my library to see if they have it -- the cover intrigues me.