Pages

Thursday, September 28, 2017

The Duchess Deal by Tessa Dare

Author: Tessa Dare
Publisher: Avon
Date of publication: August 2017

Since his return from war, the Duke of Ashbury’s to-do list has been short and anything but sweet: brooding, glowering, menacing London ne’er-do-wells by night. Now there’s a new item on the list. He needs an heir—which means he needs a wife. When Emma Gladstone, a vicar’s daughter turned seamstress, appears in his library wearing a wedding gown, he decides on the spot that she’ll do.

His terms are simple:
- They will be husband and wife by night only.
- No lights, no kissing.
- No questions about his battle scars.
- Last, and most importantly… Once she’s pregnant with his heir, they need never share a bed again.


But Emma is no pushover. She has a few rules of her own:
- They will have dinner together every evening.
- With conversation.
- And unlimited teasing.
- Last, and most importantly… Once she’s seen the man beneath the scars, he can’t stop her from falling in love…


This has to be one of the funniest historical romances I have read in a long time.  Given my mood lately, I was really looking for a book that would make me laugh and this did the trick.  From the first scene where Emma shows up at Ash's house wearing a wedding gown to the HEA at the end, I enjoyed The Duchess Deal.

While it's probably not the most histrionically accurate story, I found I didn't mind.  It's a great take on the beauty and beast story. I loved Emma and Ash together.  Their banter was fun and witty.  Their chemistry was off the charts despite them trying really hard for it no to be.  It was fun watching them fall for each other.   Along with the romance, there are a lot of characters who made the story fun.  The staff was hilarious with their schemes.  Emma's unusual spinster friends were fun as well.  

If you are looking for a fun romance, I highly recommend this one.  I look forward to the next book in the series!



1 comment:

Crossroad Reviews said...

Really love your site layout. I will so have to check out this title. I love the funnies! Love your site name as well.