Pages

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Review & Excerpt of Catch My Fall by Jessica Scott

Author: Jessica Scott
Publisher: Self
Date of publication: September 2017

Former Army Sergeant Deacon Hunter is trapped. 

Trapped in the friend zone. Longing for the woman who captured his heart when they were deployed in Iraq. 

Former Army Sergeant Kelsey Ryder has scars, the kind of scars she hopes that no one ever sees. Working around the guys at the Pint, she’s reminded of everything she lost when she left the Army behind. 

But some scars refuse to stay hidden. 

One fateful night changes everything and neither of them know if their relationship will ever be the same. 

All Deacon knows is that he’ll be there to catch her when she finally falls


I have been wanting to read Deacon and Kelsey's story for a while.  They have always been circling around each other in the earlier books, so it was fun to finally get to their story.  While I did enjoy their story immensely, there was another aspect of the story that I liked even more.  I have always said that Ms. Scott's military experience allows her to give a sense of realism to the situations in the books.  Her highlighting the plight of women veterans as pertaining to the VA system was spot on.  Having seen how my own mother navigates through the system,  I agree with most of how she portrays the hurdles our female vets have to overcome just to get care.  It is deplorable and we need to do a better job.

As I said, I loved Deacon and Kelsey.  They were both broken,. Together they are better and find a way to put the pieces back together.  One of the funniest scenes in this book is the hot yoga scene.  I laughed through Deacons' narrative because I swear I thought the same things when I took my one and only yoga class in college.  If you haven't yet, check this series out.,  Each book can be read as a stand alone.  I highly recommend them.



Enjoy this sneak peek:

I can't sleep.
I stare at my phone for a while; I guess I’m surprised that my pen pal is still talking to me. This is by far the strangest thing I’ve ever done, but right now, it’s comforting. Like talking to an old friend. 
Me either. Nights like this can get really long, really quick.
Do you want to meet?
This could be an elaborate scam to steal my money or milk me for sperm to sell to a fertility bank. Or maybe my pen pal wants my kidney. Those are in high demand these days, aren't they?
To hell with my kidneys. I'm curious now.
Shouldn't we meet somewhere public and well lit, first?
She sends me the place: 42 North, an all-night café a few blocks from here.
What if I get there and we decide that meeting in real life is super awkward?
The email response is back almost before I can blink. There's a desperation in the speed of the reply, and with everything else that happened tonight it's got my Spidey senses tingling.
We'll have to figure it out, won't we? Do you like to play games? Like Monopoly or something?
That response I don't have to think about: Not particularly.
The response is delayed this time. As if she's thinking.
I'm assuming the person on the other end is a she. Could be a dude. Which would be awkward because I don't hit for the same team.
No games. No sex. I just…I don't want to be alone. 


Js✦✦EXTENDED SAMPLE✦✦

✦✦BUY LINKS✦✦
 ðŸ”¹mobi http://selz.co/NJ67Vx4KQ
 ðŸ”¹epub http://selz.co/VyJF4lNYQ

No comments: