Pages

Friday, May 31, 2019

Books I DNF'd in May


Inspection:  I think it is time to sever ties with Josh Malerman.  I absolutely loved Bird Box.  But I have had a hard time connecting with anything else that he has written since.  I was so disappointed with Inspection. I gave it about 100 pages, then gave up.  It was confusing, boring and just not a good premise.  Skip this one. It's not good.

My Lovely Wife:  I tried with this one.  But I was so bored. For a couple of serial killers, they lived very dull lives.  There was too much time spent in the past.  It just wasn't for me.  I know other people loved this one, but it wasn't for me.

Mine:  I was all in with this one until the girlfriend showed up.  Then it just went off the rails for me.  I thought this book would go in a different direction.  I couldn't get behind what the main character chose to do, so I gave up.

The Ghost Bride:  I found this book confusing. It was over written and too flowery. The whole ghost bride thing was weird and not what I was expecting.  I made it to the part where the main character entered the ghost realm, then I couldn't listen any more.  Definitely not for me.

Breed:  This book was just wrong and disturbing.  I love horror, but this just was too gross and over the top for me.  I lasted about 50% of the way through and I couldn't take it any more. 

The Last:  I am pretty picky about what type of post-apocalyptic books I read.  I do like survival stories and watching a group of people try to make it after a major world event.  However, I don't like reading about people within that group continually taking their lives.  While I'm sure it would happen in real life out of despair, I don't want it in my fiction.

No comments: