Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2019

Review: Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco

Author: Kerri Maniscalco
Publisher: Jimmy Patterson
Date of publication: September 2016

Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.


Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world.


I had heard mixed things about Stalking Jack the Ripper, so I was a bit reserved going into the book.  I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the story.  The premise is that Audrey Rose wants to study forensic medicine under her uncle. Determined to ignore societal norms, she teams up with Thomas Cresswell, her uncle's student, to catch Jack the Ripper.

I thought this book was a lot of fun. Is it historically accurate?  Not really.  In the author's notes, she lays out what she took creative license with and what was accurate.  Despite that, I still enjoyed the book.  I absolutely loved the relationship between Audrey Rose and Thomas.  They had fun bantor and I loved their budding romance.  The two of them were just overall really enjoyable characters to read about.  As for the mystery, I did call the ending.  However, it didn't ruin the journey for me.  I would definitely recommend this one.  I am looking forward to reading more in the series.


No comments: