Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2019

Review: The Possession by Michael Rutger

Author: Michael Rutger
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Publication Date:July 2019

Still recovering from the shocking revelations they uncovered deep in uncharted territory in the Grand Canyon, American myth and legend investigator Nolan Moore and his team take on a new mission, investigating a rumored case of witchcraft and possession.

Nolan hopes their new case, in a quaint village in the middle of the woods, will prove much more like those he and his team investigated prior to their trip to Kincaid's cavern.

But as the residents accounts of strange phenomena add up, Nolan and company begin to suspect something all too real and dangerous may be at play. A force that may not be willing to let them escape the village unscathed.


The Anomaly (my review) was a pleasant surprise for me and I was eagerly awaiting The Possession. This time around the team goes to a town to investigate a disappearance as well as mysterious ancient walls that appear to have no real purpose.  I wish I could say that I loved this one just as much, but I was a little disappointed.  

My disappointment lies with the plot of the book.  I found this one kind of confusing and disjointed.  I'm still not sure I understand what was going on.  The one scene of exposition toward the later half of the book that was supposed to give the reader a clue wasn't very clear. Was it time travel, other dimensions, witchcraft?  I'm still not sure.

Having said that, I still did enjoy my time reading the book.  The setting was creepy.  There were a couple of really chilling scenes in the woods that gave me shivers.  I loved that.  The characters were still fun.  Nolan and his team work so well together and have great banter.  This can be read as a stand alone.  They do refer to the events in the first book, but don't really give anything away, so you wouldn't be spoiled if you read this first.  

Despite my disappointment, I would still recommend it.  I'm hooked enough to want to go on another adventure with Nolan and the gang again in the next book.

No comments: