Pages

Saturday, August 10, 2019

Review: Someone We Know by Shari Lapena

Author: Shari Lapena
Publisher: Bantam Press
Publication date: July 2019

"This is a very difficult letter to write. I hope you will not hate us too much. . . My son broke into your home recently while you were out." 

In a quiet, leafy suburb in upstate New York, a teenager has been sneaking into houses--and into the owners' computers as well--learning their secrets, and maybe sharing some of them, too.

Who is he, and what might he have uncovered? After two anonymous letters are received, whispers start to circulate, and suspicion mounts. And when a woman down the street is found murdered, the tension reaches the breaking point. Who killed her? Who knows more than they're telling? And how far will all these very nice people go to protect their own secrets? 

In this neighborhood, it's not just the husbands and wives who play games. Here, everyone in the family has something to hide . . .

You never really know what people are capable of.


Someone We Know is a story about a neighborhood that is filled with horrible, indecent and very bad people.  I was really disappointed in this one.  Sometimes it's hard to read a book where not one character is likable.  I found myself almost DNFing this book.  Thankfully, it was a short book and it was over quickly. Now I don't have to like every character in a book, however, I do like to at least root for someone.  I  could not find one person in this book that I wanted to root for, except maybe the detectives.  

The overall story was kind of meh.  It was fairly short, so it had that going for it. The one thing that I did like was that I didn't call the killer or motive right away.  That's about it. I wish I liked more.  I really wouldn't recommend this one. This author has written better books.

No comments: