Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2020

Review: One of Us is Next by Karen McManus

Author: Karen McManus
Publisher: Delacorte Press for Young Readers
Publication Date: January 2020

A ton of copycat gossip apps have popped up since Simon died, but in the year since the Bayview four were cleared of his shocking death, no one's been able to fill the gossip void quite like he could. The problem is no one has the facts.

Until now.

This time it's not an app, though—it's a game.

Truth or Dare.

Phoebe's
 the first target. If you choose not to play, it's a truth. And hers is dark.

Then comes Maeve and she should know better—always choose the dare.

But by the time Knox is about to be tagged, things have gotten dangerous. The dares have become deadly, and if Maeve learned anything from Bronwyn last year, it's that they can't count on the police for help. Or protection.

Simon's gone, but someone's determined to keep his legacy at Bayview High alive. And this time, there's a whole new set of rules.


One of Us is Next is the sequel to One of Us is Lying.  I loved that book and was hoping this one would live up to it.  I'll start by saying that if you have not read One of Us is Lying, then do not read this book first.  It will spoil the first book for you.  It can be read as a stand alone, however, the solution to the first book is spoiled early on in this one.  I found this one  just as enjoyable as the first one.

This book follows a new cast of characters, however, some familiar faces make appearances.  As in the first book, we get the points of view from each character without going over previous territory.  I liked that because it kept the story flowing smoothly. The characters were  interesting and I felt invested in them and what would happen to them  I don't want to really talk about the plot too much because I don't want to risk giving away any key secrets.  I love this author and how well she builds suspense. I had an idea of what was going on, but my theory was way off base. I didn't call the ending!  I highly recommend this one.    Just remember..always take the dare! 



No comments: