Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2021

Books I DNF'd in July


Temple House Vanishing:  This one seemed really interesting, so I got the audiobook.  My DNF is definitely based on the audiobook.  The narrator for the book was so bad.  Her voice never changed.  There was no inflection or emotion. I was falling asleep because it was so monotone.  Maybe I will pick up the physical book at some point in the future.

Suburban Dicks:  I'm just not a fan of identity politics in my books.  I know this is supposed to be funny and satirical, but I could nothing funny about it.  The characters were annoying.  I only lasted about 15% in and had to give up.

Darling:  So, I had to suspend a huge amount of disbelief for this book. I gave up about 30% in.  I love when the parents are present in YA books. However, the parents in this one made no sense.  They kept contradicting themselves when it came to their daughter's safety.  She also made some really dumb choices.  I just couldn't read any more.

The Haunting of Alma Fielding:  Ghost stories, even those that are supposed to be "true" should be exciting and creepy.  This one is based on a case of Nandor Fodor, a paranormal investigator in 1930s London.  This book was so dry and boring.  I started is 3 times before I finally gave up. I even tried the audiobook.  The whole story probably could have been told in a short story format.  I might have enjoyed it more.

No comments: