Pages

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Review: The Spite House by Johnny Compton

Author: Johnny Compton
Publisher: Tor Nightfire
Publication Date: February 2023

Eric Ross is on the run from a mysterious past with his two daughters in tow. Having left his wife, his house, his whole life behind in Maryland, he’s desperate for money–it’s not easy to find safe work when you can’t provide references, you can’t stay in one place for long, and you’re paranoid that your past is creeping back up on you.

When he comes across the strange ad for the Masson House in Degener, Texas, Eric thinks they may have finally caught a lucky break. The Masson property, notorious for being one of the most haunted places in Texas, needs a caretaker of sorts. The owner is looking for proof of paranormal activity. All they need to do is stay in the house and keep a detailed record of everything that happens there. Provided the house’s horrors don’t drive them all mad, like the caretakers before them.

The job calls to Eric, not just because there’s a huge payout if they can make it through, but because he wants to explore the secrets of the spite house. If it is indeed haunted, maybe it’ll help him understand the uncanny power that clings to his family, driving them from town to town, making them afraid to stop running. A terrifying Gothic thriller about grief and death and the depths of a father’s love, Johnny Compton’s The Spite House is a stunning debut by a horror master in the making.

I'm always a sucker for a god haunted house story.  In The Spite House. Eric is on the run with his twoa daughters.  When he applies for and is given job to live in a haunted house to document any paranormal activity, he jumps at the chance.  He ends up getting more than he bargained for.

I thought this was OK, but not what I was hoping for. The house was creepy and there were some great ghost scenes. The "gothic" setting was well written.  But the book suffered from way too many points of view.  They did ultimately all come together toward the end  book, but it was tedious to keep switching between people. I found myself getting bored at times.  I also am not sure I understood some of what was going on, but that could have been me zoning out at times due to boredom.  Without giving spoilers, I don't know that I fully understand what happened to the younger daughter or why it happened.  I didn't love the ending. It just didn't make sense to me.  I'll jsut chalk it up to not being for me.

No comments: