Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Books We Didn't Finish March Edition

We haven't had one of these since the end of December, so I guess this makes it a 1st Quarter DNF.

Dies the Fire-really promising premise.  I was hoping it would be something along the lines of the TV show Jericho or the book One Second After.  It was really trying to get there, but I was having a hard time figuring out the writer's choice of words at times.  It took place in the US, but words like "trainers" were used for shoes and "course" was used in a place when most people would say class.  It was throwing me off.  Then there was overuse of words, I know I do it too, but I'm not being paid to write.  I also don't have editors that are supposed to pick out these things.  One last little rant about this, I listened to the audiobook and the reader kept mispronouncing words.  This is your job, look up how to pronounce a word, or call somebody, how long does that take??

Mercy Snow-I got about a third of the way through this book and kept waiting for something to happen and  it just wasn't.  I also might have read it at the wrong time of year, it was freezing  cold here at the time and I just wasn't interested in reading about another freezing cold place.

Perfect-I loved the Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry so I was hoping this book would hold the same magic.  While it had the same lovely lyrical language, the story just wasn't as interesting.  I also couldn't stand the mother in this book.  She was so self-deprecating I guess would be the word.  I suppose it was her husband's fault, maybe just a sign of the times, I don't know, but I didn't like it and didn't want to continue reading it.

Deeper-Romance just isn't my thing.  I try on occasion to understand it, so I make attempts and NO.




I didn't really care for Elite, the first one.  So it is no surprise that I couldn't finish Elect. I felt like the writing just wasn't fluid.  I still don't get the college that is set up like a high school boarding school with uniforms. There was too much love triangle angst and the whole mob thing was just got  too unbelievable for me to stick with it.


I was really looking forward to Ripper.  I like Isabelle Allende and enjoyed Maya's NotebookRipper is supposed to be her first foray int o the Thriller genre.  Well, it never got thrilling for me.  I was bored to tears and by the middle of the book, I decided it was never going to get better.  There wasn't enough of the mystery.  Just when things were starting to look good, the storyline would move into someone's back story or would explore things that seemed irrelevant.  I also felt at times that it was a political commentary on the injustices of war or illegal immigration.  It's too bad because the idea for the story was a good one.  The execution, not so much.

I was kind of on the fence about Starters, but I figured I would give Enders a go anyway.  I'm not exactly sure why, but I just couldn't get into it.  Maybe it is because so much time had passed since reading the first one.  I was confused and had no idea what was going on. I couldn't remember what happened in Starters enough to pick up the story-line again. But, I found myself not caring enough to stick with it.  

No comments: