Pages

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Prodigy by Marie Lu

by:  
published by: Putnam Juvenile
publish date:  January 2013

Injured and on the run, it has been seven days since June and Day barely escaped Los Angeles and the Republic with their lives. Day is believed dead having lost his own brother to an execution squad who thought they were assassinating him. June is now the Republic's most wanted traitor. Desperate for help, they turn to the Patriots - a vigilante rebel group sworn to bring down the Republic. But can they trust them or have they unwittingly become pawns in the most terrifying of political games?

The last book in this trilogy, Legend, ends with June and Day escaping Day's execution.  The Republic isn't fooled by their stunt of switching out Day for his brother, so they catch on pretty quick that Day is still alive.  June and Day have nowhere to go except to the Patriots for help.  Their plan is to send June right back to the Republic.  Once she's back, she's become torn as to who is real enemy the Republic or the Patriots and how can she let Day know of her suspicions without putting them both endanger.

I thought this book was just mediocre.  It illuminated the reason why I don't like trilogies.  I really like the first book.  To paraphrase Tommy Boy, I get all excited like Joe-Joe the idiot circus boy about the first book, then the second book is just kind blah, then I care nothing about reading the third book.  Be more ruthless with the edits, condense it down, make one big book.  I know that equals less sales, but I think it would make for better books.

Anyway, so yeah, just kinda ok for me.  Which was kind of a bummer, because I really liked Legend and I hoped I'd get jazzed up for this trilogy and change my mind about them, but no.

No comments: