Pages

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Little Miss Innocent? by Lori Foster


Author: Lori Foster
First published in 1999 by Silhouette Books\

Dr. Daniel Sawyers was undeniably drawn to the very woman he most disapproved of. But Lace McGee, a supposed expert on matters of love-physical love, that is-had shown him nothing but steely resistance. So Daniel asked the brazen beauty for lessons in the bedroom. Herbedroom. So what if he was already masterful at pleasing women-he'd fake it! For Daniel had to satisfy his overpowering desire to touch Lace, to glimpse the depths of her soul, to know if uncertainty filled her gaze only to keep him at bay...or to protect a secret innocence.

Little Miss Innocent is one of Ms. Foster's early books.  It's the first of three books about the Sawyer siblings.  I have really liked most of what this author has written, but I can't really say I liked this book all that much.  I didn't really feel the connection between Lace and Daniel.  Other than being told there was tension, I wasn't feeling it. 

Daniel and Lace spent too much time arguing.  Daniel supposedly disapproves of Lace because of her job as a sex therapist and radio talk show host.  Yet, he is drawn to her.  Why?  I thought her character was annoying.  I felt like whenever they were getting along, she would totally misread his intentions and pick a fight.  That got tiring. I also didn't understand the reason behind pretending to be naive about sex.  I found that too awkward to work.  Their HEA was kind of underwhelming and I didn't feel like this was a couple that would stay together for very long. 

 Maybe the book was just too short.  Had it been longer, there might have been more room for the characters to be explored a bit more.  I'm on the fence about whether or not I'll continue with the series.  If you want a good earlier series, try her Buckhorn Brothers series.  That is great!

No comments: