Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain

Author: Chelsea Cain
First published in 2008 by Minotaur Books

Portland detective Archie Sheridan, the former head of the Beauty Killer Task Force, hunted Gretchen Lowell for years before she kidnapped him, tortured him, and then let him go. Now that she is behind bars, Archie is finally piecing his life back together. He's returned home to his ex-wife and their two children. But no matter how hard Archie tries, he just can't stop thinking about Gretchen!
When the body of a young woman is discovered in Forest Park, Archie is reminded of the first corpse he discovered there a decade ago: it turned out to be the Beauty Killer's first victim, and Archie's first case. Then, the unthinkable happens: Gretchen escapes from prison, and once the news breaks, all of Portland goes on high alert; but secretly, Archie is relieved. He knows he's the only one who can capture Gretchen and now he has a plan to get out from under her thumb once and for all. Even if it means becoming her last victim!
I reviewed the first book in this series, Heartsick, over a year ago for Throwback Thursday.  I figured I'd continue with the series.  Sweetheart is the second book.  I can honestly say that I didn't really care for the book.  I felt like the story was all over the place.  The murder mystery part was hard to follow because the story with Gretchen kept getting in the way.  The solution was underwhelming and I was pretty bored with most of the book.  The rest of the story dealing with the escape of Gretchen was just weird.  I don't understand Archie's obsession with her.  I'm hoping the next book is better. If not, I don't think I'll continue with the series.


No comments: