Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Joint Review: Legend by Marie Lu

Author: Marie Lu
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Date of publication: November 2011

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.


Back when this book came out I wasn't much interested in reading it.  I was a little burnt out on the glut of similar books flooding the YA market at the time, like Hunger Games, Divergent, Shatter Me, etc.  Now that some time has passed and the entire trilogy has been published, we decided to give it a go.  I liked it.  I can't say it wasn't anything dramatically different than any other YA dystopian/post-apocalyptic/sci-fi out there.  One thing I did like was that it was told through alternating view points of June and Day.  I often don't feel there are enough male protagonists in YA.  This series has penetrated my anti-sequel ban and I am listening to the Prodigy audiobook.

I enjoyed Legend.  It was fast paced and had a few surprising twists.  As in most dystopian stories, things aren't always as they seem.  The main characters are in for some shocks about what they have grown up to believe.  I  liked the world  that the author created. The story had one major thing going for it...no love triangle.  There was instant attraction between Day and June, but not insta-love.    I thought the characters were interesting and the alternating points of view kept the story flowing.  Stay tuned, Autumn and I will be back soon with our joint views on Prodigy.

No comments: