Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Case Histories by Kate Atkinson



Author: Kate Atkinson
First published in 2004 by Doubleday


Case one: A little girl goes missing in the night.

Case two: A beautiful young office worker falls victim to a maniac's apparently random attack.

Case three: A new mother finds herself trapped in a hell of her own making - with a very needy baby and a very demanding husband - until a fit of rage creates a grisly, bloody escape.

Thirty years after the first incident, as private investigator Jackson Brodie begins investigating all three cases, startling connections and discoveries emerge . . .


I really wanted to like this book.  The synopsis intrigued me.  I was looking forward to seeing how the three cases connected.  What I got instead was a snooze fest.  I only lasted about 4 discs into the audio-book before I gave up. There were too many characters to keep straight. I kept forgetting who was who.  The characters spent way too much time in their heads and tended to go off on tangents that did nothing to further the story.  It really slowed down the flow of the book.  I think that sometimes too many points of view can muddle up a story.  There were definitely too many points of view in this book.  I could go on and on.   I can't recommend it, unless you need something to put you to sleep.






No comments: