Pages

Monday, June 30, 2014

Books We Didn't Finish June Edition


The Snow Queen by Michael Cunningham:  Started it because it was narrated by Clare Danes...that wasn't enough of a reason to stick with it.  There were weird
ruminations about things like dirty bathwater.  It wasn't really my thing.

With or Without You by Dominica Ruta:  It was a memoir, but I couldn't figure out what made it remarkable.  It seems like there should be something right?  I don't do memoirs and I don't know what drew me to this one, but it reminded me why I don't read them.

The Murder Book by Andrea Maria Schenkel: The description of it made it sound like it was going to be really awesome.  Then it was all these little back stories of all the
characters....and nothing actually happening.  Totally NOT awesome.  Didn't care for it at all.  Sometimes I don't understand these "International Bestsellers" that come over from Europe, sometimes they're great, but other times I just have wonder who made it a bestseller??


I really had a hard time getting into The Lemon Orchard.  I tried several times to start it but never got past the first 1/4 of the book. then I gave the audio-book a try and I got to the end of the first disc and was still kind of bored.  I also was not into the immigration tack that the story-line was taking.  I guess it just wasn't for me.

I really didn't care for His to Possess.  I have read menage stories before, but this one kind of made me feel icky. I just really didn't like the story-line at all.  It wasn't very believable.

I got to the end of the first disc of Code Name Verity and gave up.  First, I found myself not really following the story.  I felt like ti kept veering off track.  I also had a hard time believing that a anyone being captured by the Nazis would be allowed to write a book instead of being just tortured then killed for information.  Autumn loved it, but I wasn't invested enough to finish.

I will admit, I just didn't get A Corner of White: The Colors of Madeleine.  I got about 25% of the way in and I had no idea what was going on.  I'm all for slow builds, but there was not world building at all.

2 comments:

The Flashlight Reader said...

Code Name Verity is actually on my list of things to read. I've seen it get great reviews. But then again, I just gave a 2 star review to a book that was getting 4s on Goodreads. To each our own, I guess.

Kari Boardman said...

Autumn will be reviewing it in July. She loved it.