Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Joint Review: The Bird Box by Josh Malerman

by:  Josh Malerman
published by:  Ecco
publish date:  May 13, 2014

Something terrifying that must not be seen. One glimpse and a person is driven to deadly violence. No one knows what it is or where it came from.  Five years after it began, a handful of scattered survivors remain, including Malorie and her two young children. Living in an abandoned house near the river, she has dreamed of fleeing to a place where they might be safe. Now, that the boy and girl are four, it is time to go. But the journey ahead will be terrifying: twenty miles downriver in a rowboat—blindfolded—with nothing to rely on but her wits and the children’s trained ears. One wrong choice and they will die. And something is following them. But is it man, animal, or monster?


I was really impressed with this first book by Josh Malerman.  This book had me hooked from beginning to end.   The tense atmosphere is what sold me on this one.  I think I was hanging on the edge of my seat the entire time.  The one thing I didn't like is the fact that there was no explanation as to what the creatures were.  Or if, indeed, there were any creatures to begin with.  At times, it seemed like it was a mass hysteria kind of event.  However, I suppose that gives the reader something to ponder over.  



Unlike Autumn, I was a little hesitant to like Bird Box at first.  I didn't understand why Malorie doesn't have names for her kids.  Calling them "Boy" and "girl" got to me.  But, as the story progressed, I found myself getting suck in more and more.  This book is definitely creepy and big on tension.  I liked how the story unfolded by waffling back and forth between the past and the present.  One thing about the book is that it really makes you think about eyesight and what it would be like to have to survive in the dark.  I'm not sure I would be that brave.  This is a great debut and one I highly recommend.  I think this author has a bright future and I look forward to seeing what he has in store for us next!

No comments: