Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Throwback Thursday: A Taste for Murder by Claudia Bishop


Author: Claudia Bishop
First published in 1994 by Berkley

A delightful new series featuring two sleuthing sisters who run the Hemlock Falls Inn. While Sarah takes care of business, her sister Meg runs the inn's kitchen. During the annual History Days festival, a mock witch stoning takes a grisly turn when a guest at the inn is substituted for the fake witch.

A Taste for Murder was a random pick from my  library.  I have never read a book by this author or any other in this series.  It looked like it would be an amusing cozy mystery,  so I gave it a try.  The basic premise is 2 sisters who leave their careers to open a bed and breakfast in Hemlock Falls.  They get entangled in a murder investigation and Sarah, who everyone calls Quill, is determined to solve the crime.

I thought this one was  just OK.  I had a few issues with the story that will probably keep me from reading any of the other books in the series.  I didn't really care for any of the characters or their actions in the book.  I found nothing amusing about Meg putting ipecac in a customer's food when she disagrees with them.  That was extremely unrealistic and very childish.  Sarah annoyed me because the woman just could never say "no" to anyone in her town.  Finally, I was annoyed because while Sarah is the one who does all of the investigation, it's Meg who out of the blue solves the crime.   It was a huge WTF moment for me.    

It's an OK read if you have nothing better to spend your time on.  I won't continue with the series.

No comments: