Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

December Mini Musings




M for MurderI was so bored listening to this book.  I'm genuinely surprised I finished it.  The twist at the end was fine. it just took too long to get there.  I know this takes place in the 90s, but the over the top sexism from Rebecca's colleagues was a bit much.  I mean I know it existed, but every male character in this book is a sexist.  I kept rolling my eyes.  I don't think I'll read the sequel.

Vanishing Hour :  This is a romantic suspense.  From what I can tell it's a stand alone.  However, I could see it continuing as a series with some of the side characters.  I enjoyed this one.  The characters were interesting.  I loved the relationship that developed between Ava and Grant.  I also thought the mystery was enjoyable and was not easy to figure out.  I definitely recommend this one. 

Heron's
 Cove
:  I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first book.  The mystery was OK  but kind of predictable.   However, the romance between Sharpe and Donovan was meh.  There was too little communication about their feelings.  I just wasn't excited for it and would have been fine had they gone their separate ways.  I may read the next one.  

Don't Lie to Me:  I really did not like this book.  It felt like the author didn't know what tone the book should take.  It was at times serious but then would feel like a cozy mystery, then switch to a rom com.  The solution was ridiculous and I laughed at how it ended up not being that big of a deal in the end.  No mention of how the kids reacted to the reveal of the killer.  Instead, let's just brush it off and put in a new calendar for the kids various activities.  Really?  I won't continue with the series.

Thirteens
:  This is definitely a middle grade horror that I would have loved in middle school.  The three main characters were misfits and come together once they discover they have similar abilities.  The growing friendship between the trio was fun to watch.  The story was creepy and the danger was just enough to make it middle grade scary..  I do recommend this one.  

The Christmas Murder Game:  I didn't love this one.  I was hoping for a good closed room - stranded msytery.  It's been done and written better.  I didn't care about any of the characters.  The villain was so obvious from the beginning.  I started this 3 times before I finally finished it.  I should have taken it as a sign and DNF'd.

No comments: