Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Review: The Family Game by Catherine Steadman

Author: Catherine Steadman
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Publication date: October 2022

Harry is a novelist on the brink of stardom; Edward, her husband-to-be, is seemingly perfect. In love and freshly engaged, their bliss is interrupted by the reemergence of the Holbecks, Edward's eminent family and the embodiment of American old money. For years, they've dominated headlines and pulled society's strings, and Edward left them all behind to forge his own path. But there are eyes and ears everywhere. It was only a matter of time before they were pulled back in . . .

After all, even though he's long severed ties with his family, Edward is set to inherit it all. Harriet is drawn to the glamour and sophistication of the Holbecks, who seem to welcome her with open arms, but everything changes when she meets Robert, the inescapably magnetic head of the family. At their first meeting, Robert slips Harry a cassette tape, revealing a shocking confession which sets the inevitable game in motion.

What is it about Harry that made him give her that tape? A thing that has the power to destroy everything? As she ramps up her quest for the truth, she must endure the Holbecks' savage Christmas traditions all the while knowing that losing this game could be deadly.

In The Family Game, novelist "Harry" has been dating Edward, yet has never met his family.  When they get engaged and she finds out she is pregnant, the family insists on meeting her.  Becoming part of the family also means engaging in bizarre holiday traditions and games.   After thinking on this one for a bit, I have definite mixed feelings about it.

I didn't "love" it, but I didn't "hate" it either.  What I did like were the games.  The first one was kind of terrifying.  Honestly, I'm not sure if I would stick around after experiencing that first game.  Especially after not being prepared before it.  I also did like the overall mystery regarding the information on the cassettes.  However, I didn't like the characters.  I kind of felt like they were a bit cliché.  I didn't love how Harry kept mentioning she was so attracted to her soon to be father-in -law.  That felt icky to me.  I also didn't love the ending.  I had a hard time believing that she would make that choice in the end.  So, it's worth a read, but it didn't live up to my expectations.  

No comments: